My Home Town

The Manila Bulletin Online has this report:
The seizure came after a 30-minute fierce gun battle with surprised and outgunned communist dissidents in the Mt. Diwata ranges in San Agustin, Surigao del Sur, Maj. Alexis Noel C. Bravo, regional Army spokesman, said. (source)

For the first time since I went here in Metro Manila, my home town has been featured in the news media just like this.

San Agustin, Surigao Sur was the place where my family resided for so long. I was born in that place and lived for about 16 years. I witnessed wars between the government troops and the Communist rebels led by a former Catholic Priest Rev. Navarro who was once the teacher of my big brother in high school and also the one who baptised me in the Catholic.

On this place where I witnessed how the goons pointed a 45 pistol on my mother's back while robbing the ballot and ballot boxes during the Yes or No election. On this place where rebels went inside our house looking for the army men living with us and told us to stay on the safest part of our house.

Mt. Diwata ranges as stated in that report is just adjacent to the parcel of land that our family owned. I can still clearly remember the time when my father and I meet a hundreds of rebels passing in front of us in which some of them are native (Kamayo or Manobo Tribe's men and children carrying guns longer than their height). One of them, the one who led them told my father: "Sir waray kanmo yakit-an ha! (You saw nothing)"

While reading the report, memories of my past of that place have been recalled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SSS.GOV.PH Online Inquiry

Philippines bans liquids on ferries, trains and buses

Gastroenteritis Outbreak In Cebu